There are two distinctly different kinds of flood damage that could happen to your home, and it is vitally important that you be adequately prepared for the two. While regular homeowner’s insurance will likely cover flooding due to a burst water heater (as long as it was not due to your negligence in failing to fix a minor escape ), flooding from hurricanes or tornadoes is not typically covered by homeowner’s insurance. You need a special flood coverage to assure coverage. Flood insurance is available for both homeowners and renters, with varying rates based on risk.
Before Your House Requires Water Damage Restoration
The critical first step is to be certain that you’re adequately insured in the event of a flood.
Virginia Flooding (FEMA) has prepared maps to identify areas that are particularly at risk of flooding. One in four houses in Special High Risk Areas will be flooded during the term of the average 30-year mortgage, so these homeowners are usually needed by their mortgage lenders to have flood insurance.
Moderate to low risk areas are located outside recognized floodplains, but are recommended to have the insurance, while undetermined hazard areas may have some probability of flooding. Rates for the insurance depend upon the danger classification.
The identical neighborhood may have different homes in each of the flooding groups, based upon the lay of this land.
Flood Damage Restoration: What You Need to Know
The very first thing you have to do if your house is damaged by flood is to notify your insurance agent. If there has been significant damage in the region, there may be countless other homeowners submitting claims for flood damage recovery, therefore the sooner you call, the higher you’ll be in line, and the earlier you will get your check.
You do not want to be trapped indoors if the house collapses.
Take photos of any standing water, in addition to damaged land. Make an inventory of damaged property, along with purchase price, current price, and receipts if you have them.
Be cautious about restoring electricity where there’s water damage. You may need to call an electrician.
Once your home has been damaged by flooding, you need to act quickly to avoid the growth of mould and mildew which may be detrimental to your family’s wellbeing. Drywall may need to be replaced to prevent the development of mould behind it.
Some actions that you can take to accelerate drying of this dampness include opening all doors and windows and turning on air conditioners and fans. You’ll need to wear gloves and boots to wash and disinfect. Even following the flooded region is dried, you will need to see it for mould growth and also be conscious of any musty scents that develop.